Re: [help-texinfo] Info file format spec?

From: Robert Dodier
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] Info file format spec?
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 11:16:41 -0700

Eli, thanks for your reply.

Byte offset of what? and what is ``length of each item'', exactly?
Can you show an example?

E.g. let's say an info file FOO.info-4 contains something like

 -- Function: foo (x, y, z)
    Blah, blah, blah.

-- Function: bar (a, b, c)
   Mumble mumble blurf.

Let's say the first byte of "  -- Function: foo" is byte 1729, and the
first byte of "  -- Function: bar" is byte 1755. Then I'd like to build
(or get makeinfo to build for me) a table with elements like
"foo", "FOO.info-4", 1729, 26.

I want to use that table to find (by comparing a input string against
"foo", "bar", etc) the text for "foo", read just that much text
(open "FOO.info-4" and then seek 1755 bytes and then read
26 bytes), and print that text.

Thanks again for your help.

Robert Dodier