Re: [help-texinfo] web site using texinfo->docbook->html

From: Per Bothner
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] web site using texinfo->docbook->html
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 22:07:10 -0700

Karl Berry wrote:
> For HTML one can use "zero width space". E.g. have makeinfo translate:
>
> That would be nice -- even nicer if there's another Unicode space
> without the "expandable" problem noted by Torsten.
>
> Only question is, do you know what happens to the ​ on older
> browsers?

I have no idea - some browsers will probably mishandle anything
other than Ascii too.

It would be nice if there was a "best practices" guideline for how
to handle discretionary lie break, but I don't know if there is.

HTML does specify "soft hyphens":

    9.3.3 Hyphenation

    In HTML, there are two types of hyphens: the plain hyphen and the
    soft hyphen. The plain hyphen should be interpreted by a user
    agent as just another character. The soft hyphen tells the user
    agent where a line break can occur.

    Those browsers that interpret soft hyphens must observe the
    following semantics: If a line is broken at a soft hyphen, a
    hyphen character must be displayed at the end of the first
    line. If a line is not broken at a soft hyphen, the user agent
    must not display a hyphen character. For operations such as
    searching and sorting, the soft hyphen should always be ignored.

    In HTML, the plain hyphen is represented by the "-" character
    (- or -). The soft hyphen is represented by the character
    entity reference ­ (­ or ­)

So one could emit:

The question is: is it more or less confusing to print/display the
hyphen in a line line:

http://www.gnu.org/-
software/texinfo

--