Re: How do I set margins?

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: How do I set margins?
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 09:57:49 -0400

    I have been plagued with the problem that SuSE configures their
    systems to use @afourpaper in some way that is not obvious to

Perhaps in texinfo.cnf.

    This format uses up a lot of paper.
    I would prefer to use 3/4" margins all the way around,

There is a tradeoff between using up paper and having really really long
lines.  The default format was my best attempt at a compromise.  I don't
want to waste paper any more than anyone else - you should have seen the
default format in years past :).

\internalpagesizes{46\baselineskip}{6in}{\voffset}{.25in}{\bindingoffset}{36pt}%

If you change the \voffset to -.25in and the .25in to -.25in, it might
do what you want.

    I think you should, somehow.

The reason I've resisted adding user-configurable margin commands is
that Texinfo's purpose is expressly to avoid physical formatting.  It's
not LaTeX and isn't meant for general-purpose typesetting.

    Also, your documentation says that pagesizes takes WIDTH [, HEIGHT
    ].  Obviously, this source is "more correct".

Thanks, I'll fix that.