help-tar

[Help-tar] Need help with TAR redirection

From: ak2
Subject: [Help-tar] Need help with TAR redirection
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 06:53:19 -0700 (PDT)

Hi:

I am using GNU Tar 1.13 (on a WinTel platfrom).  I am attempting to tar a
directory and have the resulting TAR file placed in another directory.

Tar (options) [source drive letter + ":" + path source] [drive letter + ":"
+ path destination]

So an example of tar'ing a directory from a network drive and storing the
resulting tar file in a local directory might be the following:

TAR -cvf C:\TEMP\BACKUP_TEST.TAR P:\TEST

Ideally this would take the contents of P:\TEST (from the network) and Tar
it to a file called "backup_test.tar" which would subsequently be stored in
a local directory called "C:\TEMP".  The Tar command itself would be running
from an entirely different directory.

So, the only problem is, this doesn't work.  I'm sure that it's just because
I don't have the syntax right.  Can anyone take a look and advise where I am
going wrong and what the correct syntax would be to achieve this goal?

Thanks,

Alan