help-stow

Re: [Help-stow] managing multiple versions of software tools

From: Guillaume Morin
Subject: Re: [Help-stow] managing multiple versions of software tools
Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 15:03:04 +0200

Hi David,

Sorry for the delay.

Dans un message du 22 Apr à  8:40, David T-G écrivait :
> Can stow, which will do a delightful job of making links and unfolding
> directories and such, happily handle multiple PATH trees?  I recall a
> bit in the documentation about stow not being able to fold/collapse a
> tree if there were multiple stow installations because it couldn't know
> with certainty what was owned by what if there were two hands messing in
> the pot.  It seems that here we have the ultimate expression of that:
> for a given tool (perl 5.6.1) we'll have a potentially huge number of
> "owners".

I am not sure to understand exactly what you mean. I am not a native
speaker and I am afraid I could have misunderstood some parts of your
description. Anyway, I am trying to answer, you'll tell me if I am
mistaken.

There is no problem with managing multiple targets directories.  The
problem is indeed when there is multiple install directories, this is
your case. But it will work if you have a directory tree in your target
directory.

e.g

This won't work

address@hidden:/tmp/foo$ tree
.
|-- fake_perl
|   `-- 1.0
|       `-- bin
|           `-- fake_perl.sh
|-- fake_python
|   `-- 2.0
|       `-- bin
|           `-- fake_python.sh
`-- flavor
    `-- foo

8 directories, 2 files
address@hidden:/tmp/foo/fake_perl$ stow -t ../flavor/foo 1.0
address@hidden:/tmp/foo/fake_perl$ cd ../fake_python/
address@hidden:/tmp/foo/fake_python$ stow -t ../flavor/foo 2.0
stow: CONFLICT: /tmp/foo/fake_python/2.0/bin vs. /tmp/foo/flavor/foo/bin
address@hidden:/tmp/foo/fake_python$

But if you have :

address@hidden:/tmp/foo$ tree
.
|-- fake_perl
|   `-- 1.0
|       `-- bin
|           `-- fake_perl.sh
|-- fake_python
|   `-- 2.0
|       `-- bin
|           `-- fake_python.sh
`-- flavor
    `-- foo
        `-- bin

9 directories, 2 files
address@hidden:/tmp/foo/fake_perl$ stow -t ../flavor/foo/ 1.0
address@hidden:/tmp/foo/fake_perl$ cd ../fake_python/
address@hidden:/tmp/foo/fake_python$ stow -t ../flavor/foo/ 2.0/
address@hidden:/tmp/foo/fake_python$

Your target directories ($TOP/flavor/,$TOP/flavor/OS/MAJOR/MINOR) won't
normally interfere.

HTH.

--
Guillaume Morin <address@hidden>