help-source-highlight

Re: [Help-source-highlight] problem building sources for insall in $HOM

From: Britton Kerin
Subject: Re: [Help-source-highlight] problem building sources for insall in $HOME as non-root user
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2008 16:30:32 -0900

On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 22:07:59 +0100, "Lorenzo Bettini"
<address@hidden> said:
> Britton Kerin wrote:
> > Install as ordinary user seems to work fine now thanks.
>
> great!
> I'll release 2.11.1 soon (at the moment I'm working on providing also a
> library together with source-highlight so probably the next major
> release will be... actually major ;-)

Sweet.  One thing that would be lovely to see, though its only a
wishlist
item for sure and possibly not really in line with what source-highlight
does, would be folding in the HTML output.  I realize this opens the
can of horror otherwise known as JavaScript but it is pretty handy
sometimes
for reading source.

> > One little thing that I think is a doc issue: it seems that when
> > --gen-references=inline is given, but there end up being multiple
> > tags, then the inline style is not used but instead the tags are
> > listed under the reference.  This makes sense but it should probably
> > be mentioned in the docs about --gen-references.
> >

> it is, actually:
> http://www.gnu.org/software/src-highlite/source-highlight.html#Generating-References

You're right.  I guess I like graphs because I can't read.

> "There is an exception: when an element has more than one reference
> (because a variable is defined in many sources or because a method is
> overloaded) then if inline is specified, the generation switches to
> postline for that occurrence. "
>
> > If you would enjoy seeing source-highlight helping with a sort of
> > runtime case grapher/source browser thing that I wrote to help get a
> > handle
> > on our operational system, take a look at this:
> >
> > http://brittonkerin.com/src_browser/trace_out/source_browser.html
>
> hey that's awesome!
> is it an open source system/software that you intend to release?
> that's very interesting, indeed!

Maybe sometime, its too rough for general consumption, and tends to be
sort of foiled still by the tendency of web systems to be written in
a combination of 4 or 5 different languages (ours has php, C, ruby,
JavaScript and of course SQL eeeeeep).  Its helpful to me
though and I really appreciate the highlighted code views.

Britton