help-snakecharmer

[Help-SnakeCharmer] bobbin

From: Tristan Long
Subject: [Help-SnakeCharmer] bobbin
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 20:23:11 +0200

To every ones surprise three days permission was granted to me andGrothé.
Some, as I have said, did not wearanything on their feet but their boots.
We had to supply ourselves with soap for washing our clothes; it wasnot supplied by the Government. They blasphemed and cursed and rolled about inphysical abandonment. They were interested to hear about the Legion, but I heldback.
That evening I was invited to the Consuls house to dinner. Then quite unexpectedly came an occasion which seemed to blow a goodwind.
The bugle players neighbour was an Italian, a silent fellow wholooked pensive and lowering. The food which I shouldhave to eat if my money gave out was nauseating. You must go at once, these are marching orders. But I will tell you what I can do for you. I shall do nothingmore while waiting for my discharge. I am expecting aregistered letter with money at any moment. When anything like that occurred there was astir in the barracks for about a day, and then a hush.
We were drenched to the skin, and the red mud was so deep that westuck at every step. The lack of any kindof equable companionship was distressing and depressing.
From hisconversation I gathered that he must have been in the diplomaticservice. His method of further procedure was simple andeffective. And as to having seen and spoken with him,it all seemed to him quite fantastic. We were drenched to the skin, and the red mud was so deep that westuck at every step.
However, I had plans of my own, and Grothé was notthe one to object or find fault or squeal. This was the man who desertedwhen given permission for a few days leave.
His son wasa full-fledged Frenchman, whose career was the army. Many murders androbberies had taken place on these stairs.
The jokes which were bandiedabout reeked with filth and depravity.
It was said that hehad a very terrible history.
Besides I must pack mythings at the hotel, and pay my bill there.