help-smalltalk

[Help-smalltalk] (GUI) Dialog (and Cincom VisualWorks compat)

From: Garreau\, Alexandre
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] (GUI) Dialog (and Cincom VisualWorks compat)
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2018 10:32:05 +0200

Hi,

In my college they’re teaching SmallTalk right now (which must be nice
since all what I’ve heard of it), but using a proprietary implementation
as I asked (which is not :/): Cincom VisualWorks, so I’m going to try
using GNU Smalltalk instead.

However I noticed (but I was told it’s not relevant until next semester)
some stuff such as a “Dialog” class (with calls such as “Dialog
warn:'error'” or “x := Dialog request:'a value'”, where x is a string,
from what I’m reading in their slides) wasn’t existing in GNU Smalltalk.

I’m under Debian (I’ve read there are some GUI issues on some distros,
I’d like to check how it is here, maybe try to fix it): is there some
way of achieving, as simply as possible, a similar behavior (as the one
I could guess: creating a dialog to prompt for or say something), maybe
with GTK?  Would it be trivial or not to have similarly named
classes/symbols (I’m unsure about the terminology, I’m from lisp) based
on those?

Thank you for any help!