help-smalltalk

Re: [Help-smalltalk] Testsuite failures on Debian PowerPC

From: Marc Hanisch
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Testsuite failures on Debian PowerPC
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 08:27:45 +0200

Hello Paolo,

2011/6/10 Paolo Bonzini <address@hidden>:
> On 06/09/2011 10:53 PM, Marc Hanisch wrote:
>>
>> today I tried installing GNU Smalltalk 3.2.4 on a Debian PowerPC machine.
>> Some of the tests failed and I can't figure out why.
>
> Please try executing this from the REPL and cut/paste the output:
>
> a := 1 sinh
> b := (a squared + 1) sqrt.
> c := (a * a + 1) sqrt.
> d := 1 cosh.
> e := 1 exp.
> f := -1 exp.
> g := (e + f) / 2.
> h := (e - f) / 2.
> i := FloatD emin - FloatD precision - 1.
> j := 1.0d timesTwoPower: i.
> j examine
>

> Here is the output I get on an x86 machine by the way:
>
> st> a := 1 sinh
> 1.1752011936438014
> st> b := (a squared + 1) sqrt.
> 1.5430806348152437
> st> c := (a * a + 1) sqrt.
> 1.5430806348152437
> st> d := 1 cosh.
> 1.5430806348152437
> st> e := 1 exp.
> 2.718281828459045
> st> f := -1 exp.
> 0.36787944117144233
> st> g := (e + f) / 2.
> 1.5430806348152437
> st> h := (e - f) / 2.
> 1.1752011936438014
> st> i := FloatD emin - FloatD precision - 1.
> -1075
> st> j := 1.0d timesTwoPower: i.
> 0.0
> st> j examine
> An instance of FloatD
>  [1]: 0
>  [2]: 0
>  [3]: 0
>  [4]: 0
>  [5]: 0
>  [6]: 0
>  [7]: 0
>  [8]: 0
> 0.0

The output at first looks the same as yours, but it seems the
precision is not exact:

st> a := 1 sinh
1.175201193643801
st> b := (a squared + 1) sqrt.
1.5430806348152435
st> c := (a * a + 1) sqrt.
1.5430806348152435
st> d := 1 cosh.
1.5430806348152437
st> e := 1 exp.
2.718281828459045
st> f := -1 exp.
0.3678794411714426
st> g := (e + f) / 2.
"Global garbage collection... done"
1.5430806348152437
st> h := (e - f) / 2.
1.175201193643801
st> i := FloatD emin - FloatD precision - 1.
-1075
st> j := 1.0d timesTwoPower: i.
0.0
st> j examine
An instance of FloatD
  [1]: 0
  [2]: 0
  [3]: 0
  [4]: 0
  [5]: 0
  [6]: 0
  [7]: 0
  [8]: 0
0.0

Can I though install Gnu Smalltalk on the PowerPC machine?
Marc

--
★ lernu Esperanton! Esperanto - la lingvo internacia - www.esperanto.net ★