help-shishi

Re: Suppresion of password prompt

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: Suppresion of password prompt
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 11:55:59 +0200

Graham Shaw <address@hidden> writes:

>> I see now that if the server requires pre-authentication (using a
>> password) I see now that the code will not use the provided password,
>> but instead will prompt for a new password.  I have fixed this, see:
>
>> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=shishi.git;a=commitdiff;h=bdf277a51182c49b13b61ac6f57b8111dcbf94a5
>
> Thanks - that appears to work perfectly.

Ok.

>> Regarding 2), use shishi_tkts_find() instead which will only search
>> among your existing tickets.  The shishi_tkts_get* APIs will try to get
>> a ticket if it doesn't exist -- it calls shishi_tkts_find() first.
>
> That isn't quite the functionality I'm looking for:
> - if the client doesn't already have a service ticket then I do want it to
> request one from the KDC using the TGT, however
> - if the client doesn't have a TGT then I don't want it to prompt for a
> password.
>
> (The former is OK because it's an entirely non-interactive process,
> whereas the latter takes input from the user so is something I need to
> avoid.)

I can think of two easy solutions:

1) Add a new Shishi_tkts_hintflags flag such as
SHISHI_TKTSHINTFLAGS_NON_INTERACTIVE which inhibits all password
queries.  We probably need a new error code to signal that the command
failed for this reason.

2) Add a callback interface for dealing with password queries.  This
allows you to get a callback when a password is needed.  The callback
could fail (which presumably it would in a non-interactive situation).
We probably need to add the same error code here as well.

Can you think of something else that would solve your problem better?
Which do you prefer?  I could implement both, they both seem useful.

Thanks,
/Simon