6 number revisions - bug?

From: tbrown
Subject: 6 number revisions - bug?
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 16:25:10 -0500 (CDT)

RCS version 5.7 as shipped with Redhat Linux 7.0

On one of my projects RCS has started leaping from a.b.c.d to a.b.c.d.e.f
for no apparent reason - here's a shell session where I actually saw it
happen, it's also happened when I'm using emacs and didn't notice until
later.

src> ci -u -m'Changes for wumpus / dump debugging' simint.cc
RCS/simint.cc,v  <--  simint.cc
ci: RCS/simint.cc,v: no lock set by tbrown

src> rcs -l simint.cc
RCS file: RCS/simint.cc,v
0.2.6.36 locked
done

src> ci -u -m'Changes for wumpus / dump debugging' simint.cc
RCS/simint.cc,v  <--  simint.cc
new revision: 0.2.6.36.1.1; previous revision: 0.2.6.36
done

Why would it do this?  I didn't even think it was possible.  I haven't
made any rcs manipulations to cause it.

Also, while I'm here, sometimes when I use emac's compare file with
revision function it will compare revision a.b.c.(d-x) when I'm editting
a.b.c.d.  x can be one or more, eg. it tries comparing 0.2.6.40 when I'm
editting 0.2.6.41.

Thanks, Terry.