help-panorama

saddle

From: Antony Lancaster
Subject: saddle
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 08:02:02 +0900

There is no future for me if I cannot paddle a canoe upthe big rivers any more. Perhaps you can paddle, Antoine, but not carry. Certainly, mydear, put it there with the lambs, before the manger. Again he put out his hand and touchedher head. But tomorrow I will make you a support, and you will bemore comfortable. Indeed, she sent theman incomparable gift. I have taken a vow that will spoil your plans for me. Cest tranquille, chez vous, comme toujours,he said with a faint smile. The woodsman took the little glass between his thick fingers andheld it up to the fire-light. Perhaps you can paddle, Antoine, but not carry. She bore the summers heat as patiently as the winters cold. My pack had grown lighter, and I wanted to carry his, but he wouldnot have it. He died while Father Hector was there, and had aChristian burial. Frichette shook his head and spread his thick fingers apart on hisknees. Mother de Saint-Augustin meant well, but she made a mistake. He had been Jeannesplayfellow in childhood. But why not at least try the simple remedy which was so beneficialin the case of Père La Chaise? I boiled pine chips and madeturpentine, but it did no good. It was three days journey in to the Sault mission, and the goingwas bad. You know she keeps her spinning-wheel up in her work-room, over the cell where she sleeps. But first they would be seated more comfortably, and have a talk. Father Hector tasted his wine, inhaling it with adeep breath. Hereached out and put his hand lightly on Céciles head. Soattired, he was more conspicuous than courtiers the most richlyapparelled. He was a kind Indian and was glad to giveus what he had. The limbs of the trees are generally bigger on the southside, for example. So you and Proulx went into the woods, out fromthe Sault? Thats not a prayer, Antoine,he says; thats a Latin poem, a very long one, that I learned atschool. He did not doubt theyoung Bishops piety, but he very much doubted his judgment. Atlast I turned over and told Father Hector that was certainly a longprayer he was saying. Certainly, mydear, put it there with the lambs, before the manger.