Passing variables between octave processes on the same machine

From: Pavel Hofman
Subject: Passing variables between octave processes on the same machine
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2019 18:35:42 +0100

Hi,

Please does anyone have any experience with passing complete variables between two independent octave processes (not parent/child via popen)?

The transport channel is easy - sockets, zeromq etc. I assume for serialization I could use the 'save' function:

bitstream = save('-', 'variable')

But I was not able to find a simple way to deserialize contents of the 'bitstream' variable back to 'variable'. The 'load' function does not accept input from a variable (as far as I understand the documentation), only from a real file.

Actually, I would love to use a sequence of plain files but several messages must be sent every second and SSD drives do not like this constant create/delete file load. Creating a RAM drive would work but I need a multiplatform solution (linux, windows) and creating the platform-specific RAM drive would overcomplicate the project deployment.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions, experience, etc.

Best regards,

Pavel.