Re: compiling octave fails on building flex

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: compiling octave fails on building flex
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2017 15:59:42 -0700

Any suggestions? The other machine doesn't fail on these (gdb and nsis, I haven't built package binaries on the other one, and only accidentally let it slip on this one), so I must have setup dependencies inconsistently? I'll move the successful octave-4.3.0+.tar.gz to the other machine which successfully does make nsis-installer and see if I can combine them. But I'd still like to solve this so I can reliably build all the way through on both machines individually.

Do you have the latest mxe-octave? JWE pushed a patch for of-general a few days ago that may have fixed the issues for that package.

For gdb, there was probally a previous error in the build that prevented bfd/libbfd.a etc from being built that may be actual cause of the error
------

I finally have a fully functioning installer with the newest octave build. Thank you very much for the help. In the end it came down to 1) installing  a couple of missing dependencies, 2) avoiding -jX anywhere, or repeating the build several times of it was used, because sometimes dependency order won't reliably build it with -j,  3) avoiding even JOBS=X when doing make hg-octave-dist ( same problems with order dependencies), but JOBS can be used for make or make nsis-installer, 4) changing build-flex.mk to point to version 2.6.3 instead of 2.6.4, 5) commenting out build instructions in of-general.mk, so it's not included in the forge package builds, but doesn't freak out when the mk doesn't exist, 6)  doing 'touch src/default-octave.mk' if any make command was done in the mxe directory before make hg-octave-dist. I've verified the entire sequence on one machine with clean repo clones. I'm in the process of verifying it for a new vm install, to double check the set of one time  dependency installs, and hope to repeat for the builds on my other machine.