Re: why is octave 4.2.0 x86_64-w64-mingw32 so slow?

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: why is octave 4.2.0 x86_64-w64-mingw32 so slow?
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2017 21:42:12 -0400

On Oct 23, 2017 9:40 PM, "Ray Tayek" <address@hidden> wrote:
On 10/23/2017 6:23 PM, Doug Stewart wrote:

On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 9:11 PM, Ray Tayek <address@hidden     i did a profile ...

    i would think that one of the cores/threads would be saturated. ...

I think that you don't understand how the os handles the cores and the load.
With a single thread program running full out the os usually farms the load out between all the cores. thus 1 core at 100%
when it is shared will show up as 4 cores at 25%. I think this is what you are seeing.

maybe. the cpu utilization shows 10%-20% across all cores most of the time. so it could be spread out. otoh, there are still dozens of windoze services that are running, so it's hard to tell.

one of the other people taking the course reported that Octave 4.0.3 runs much faster.

i did pass the quiz, so this is not urgent. i am just curious why none of the cpu's saturate.

thanks

if you have 8 cores, do you ever see a process over 12 or 13%?