Noisy sound function output due to wrong nbits

From: Bagus Tris Atmaja
Subject: Noisy sound function output due to wrong nbits
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2017 11:43:35 +0000

Dear all,

I have .wav files with 16 and 24 bits precision, when I read it with audioread and played it with sound function, I got noise sound. The syntax I used:
>> [y, fs] = audioread('filename.wav');
>> sound(y, fs)

I got clean sound when I add nbits argument (n=16) to sound,
>> sound(y, fs, 16);

From the 'help sound', it is shown that default nbits is 8.
So, in case we don't know now the nbits of wav file (I use sox to collect the information or old wavread althoug it gives warning), what's the workaround for the audioread function?

I prefer to keep nbits output argument to the new audioread function.

--
Bagus Tris Atmaja
VibrasticLab - ITS