Re: Error installing the symbol package

From: Doug Stewart
Subject: Re: Error installing the symbol package
Date: Sun, 7 May 2017 15:08:21 -0400

On Sun, May 7, 2017 at 1:21 PM, Simon A. Turner <address@hidden> wrote:

please answer at the bottom like I am.

Did you get the symbolic pkg. to work?

did you try the suggestions  that Mike posted?

Doug

Sorry is this ok ? my email client automatically does it the other way around.

I have not tried to get the symbol package to work as I have no idea what to do. I have not seen any suggestions from Mike.

I do have python installed (latest version) as I needed it for something else. Is any particular version of python suggested ? or could python cause a problem ?

Simon

this is what Mike said:

The symbolic package works fine on Windows. The main problem is
installation, due to an ancient version of Perl bundled with the Windows
Octave distribution (Octave runs Texinfo on package installation,
Texinfo is written in Perl).

See https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?49839 and the patch I posted there
that can work around this problem (direct link:
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/download.php?file_id=39225).

Let me explain how it works.

octave just calls python to do the symbolic work.
And  python then uses

[SymPy](www.sympy.org)

S0 if you have python and sympy installed you could try solving the equations using python.

I try using the symbolic pkg from octave, and did not succeed.

I find that Maximum
http://maxima.sourceforge.net/

is much more powerfull.

Do you have a set of eq that you want me to try using my octave and symbolic pkg?