Re: Octave gcc problem (Homebrew Mac)

From: Vic Norton
Subject: Re: Octave gcc problem (Homebrew Mac)
Date: Fri, 5 May 2017 08:55:28 -0400

Unfortunately your advice didn’t work for me, Sebastian. - Vic

~$ brew install --build-from-source octave
Updating Homebrew...
==> Auto-updated Homebrew!
Updated 3 taps (caskroom/cask, homebrew/core, homebrew/science).
==> Updated Formulae
certbot                                  homebrew/science/plink2
git-extras                               homebrew/science/poretools
homebrew/science/calculix-ccx            homebrew/science/qrupdate ✔
homebrew/science/gmsh                    kubernetes-helm
homebrew/science/p4est                   todoman
homebrew/science/pastix                  yadm
homebrew/science/plasma

Warning: homebrew/science/octave-4.2.1_2 already installed
~$ octave
dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/opt/gcc/lib/gcc/7/libgfortran.4.dylib
  Referenced from: /usr/local/bin/octave-cli
  Reason: image not found
Abort trap: 6

> On May 5, 2017, at 8:29 AM, Sebastian Schöps <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Dear Vic,
>
> you updated by purpose or accident your gcc. This may of course break
> dependencies like octave. The proper way is to recompile all dependencies,
> including octave
>
> brew install --build-from-source octave
>
> This is necessary as there is currently no octave binary for the new gcc.
> However, there will be a new one soon since this is a known issue:
>
> https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-science/issues/4972#issuecomment-299394176
>
> Sebastian

>>> Well, I hated to mess with Homebrew, but the above solution did work. I now
>>> have a working Octave. Here is what I did in Terminal.
>>>
>>> 1. I changed my directory to /usr/local/opt
>>> 2. I relabeled gcc as gcc-new