Re: Octave 4.2 binary + all packages in Linux ?

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Octave 4.2 binary + all packages in Linux ?
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2017 10:12:06 -0700

On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 09:37:13 -0700, roland65 wrote:
> Sorry, I was probably not very clear. I'd just like to know if there is
> somewhere a complete binary package for Octave that is more or less
> independent of the distribution.

No, there is not currently such a thing.

> I dind't find such a thing, so I just ask if it could be done or not.

Yes, it could be done.

> My need is the following: in my company there are some Linux users that
> could use Octave. Some are on Ubuntu, some on Redhat, some on OpenSuse, etc.
> Most of them have distribution that only propose the 4.0.x version...
>
> As I said, I spent at lot of time to compile Octave 4.2.1 + 12 packages in
> Ubuntu 16.04 for my own use and if each Linux user has to do the same, this
> is a big waste of time...
>
> Of course, people could stick on the old version, but there are a couple of
> annoying bugs that have been fixed in the new version, so it could be nice
> if every user could install a common binary, like we do with LibreOffice or
> Mozilla, for example...

If I worked at a company with a large group of users running a variety
of different distros like this, and they all wanted access to the same
latest version of Octave *not* provided by their distro's package
manager, I would probably try to install it on a server and give either
NFS or SSH access to everyone.

If I were not comfortable building Octave myself or willing to take the
time, I would probably install Arch, Debian testing + experimental, or
Fedora to leverage the 4.2.1 packages available in those repositories.

--
mike