Re: Octave 4.2 binary + all packages in Linux ?

From: roland65
Subject: Re: Octave 4.2 binary + all packages in Linux ?
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2017 09:37:13 -0700 (PDT)

Mike Miller-4 wrote
> Are you asking for help finding the easy to way install the latest
> stable release on GNU/Linux $distro?
>
> Are you suggesting that it's unfair that there is an all-in-one
> installer for Windows but not for GNU/Linux $distro?

Sorry, I was probably not very clear. I'd just like to know if there is
somewhere a complete binary package for Octave that is more or less
independent of the distribution.

I dind't find such a thing, so I just ask if it could be done or not.

My need is the following: in my company there are some Linux users that
could use Octave. Some are on Ubuntu, some on Redhat, some on OpenSuse, etc.
Most of them have distribution that only propose the 4.0.x version...

As I said, I spent at lot of time to compile Octave 4.2.1 + 12 packages in
Ubuntu 16.04 for my own use and if each Linux user has to do the same, this
is a big waste of time...

Of course, people could stick on the old version, but there are a couple of
annoying bugs that have been fixed in the new version, so it could be nice
if every user could install a common binary, like we do with LibreOffice or
Mozilla, for example...