Re: Getting Octave to use Anaconda Python Environment

From: cranexcrane
Subject: Re: Getting Octave to use Anaconda Python Environment
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2017 05:51:25 -0700 (PDT)

Sam --
This is late reply, but I had exactly the same problem that you had, with
Octave refusing to "see" the packages that I had installed under Anaconda.

Ultimately, I was able to resolve the issue by directly installing the
latest version of sympy to my system's non-Anaconda Python directories.

This involved:

    1. navigating to sympy.org and downloading the tarball for the latest
release:

https://github.com/sympy/sympy/releases/download/sympy-1.0/sympy-1.0.tar.gz

    2. in terminal, navigating to my downloads folder and unpacking the
tarball:
        cd ~/Downloads/
        tar -xvzf sympy-1.0.tar.gz

    3. navigating to the extracted folder and running the setup file:
        cd sympy-1.0
        sudo python setup.py install

.. and that's it!

The readme file included in the tarball was quite helpful.

It mentions that sympy has a hard dependency on the mpmath library, which
fortunately was already up-to-date on my system.

Anyhow, this doesn't actually answer the question of how to reconfigure
Octave to utilize Python packages installed under Anaconda, but it does
resolve the larger issue we were both having.

Best,
Crane