Re: Friday musings: missing function thoughts

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Friday musings: missing function thoughts
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2017 16:40:41 -0500

On 01/20/2017 06:30 PM, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:

It would be great if there was a way to say: octave 4.x is fully
compatible with base Matlab 2012 or similar. Its a fixed point in time
and the function set won't change. When someone shows up asking what to
work on, you could say: well here's all that's left to get us compatible
with Matlab 2013... toolboxes are another issue.

I don't think this is a reasonable goal because Matlab changes. Being compatible with an old version may mean an incompatibility with the current version.

You are welcome to write and contribute whatever functions you choose, but I think that attempting to implement all functions from some version of Matlab just so you can claim full coverage is probably not the best use of time. Working on functions and features that you need, or that are more widely used seems like a more important thing to me.

jwe