Re: help required

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: help required
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2017 09:12:09 -0800

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 12:56:00 +0530, Abhimanyu Popli wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am nor able to install octave on ubuntu 14.04. I am getting the following
> error :
>

> Setting up octave (3.8.1-1ubuntu1) ...

This implies you are attempting to install octave from the Ubuntu
package repositories.

> /usr/local/bin/octave-cli-3.8.0: error while loading shared libraries:
> libhdf5.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

And this implies that you have a (probably old) locally compiled copy of
Octave installed in /usr/local.

Please delete the copy of Octave in /usr/local (look for all files and
directories named octave under /usr/local) and try again.

--
mike