Re: Optimization functions undefined

From: Dominique Richard
Subject: Re: Optimization functions undefined
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2017 16:47:30 +0100

Le Mercredi 11 Janvier 2017 15:11 CET, Olaf Till <address@hidden> a écrit:

> On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 11:46:01AM +0100, RICHARD Dominique wrote:
> > Hello,
> >     I am coming back to an optimization code which used to run smoothly
> > few months ago with Octave 3.8
> > When I try to rerun it today on a new machine with Octave 4.0.0 and
> > optim package 1.4.1,
> >  I get the following error :
> > 'fmins' undefined near line xxx
> >
> > So I checked and this function is on my machine in
> > /usr/share/octave/package/optim-1.4.1/ as expected.
> > In this same folder I found what seems to me like test files and I tried
> > to run : test_min_1.m
> > and this time got the error :
> > '__bgfsmin' undefined near line xxx
> >
> > What's wrong with my installation ?
> > How could I get my optimization code to work as it used to ?
>
> You could check for some usual pitfalls:
>
> - wrong permissions for directories or files with package functions
>
> - binary functions (as __bfgsmin) not compiled for new Octave version
>
> These can usually be mended by reinstallation of the package, maybe
> after checking the permissions within the package if you installed
> from a directory.
>
> If this does not help, you should give more information to enable
> others to help you.

Thanks Olaf for your help.
Indeed it was a stupid permission problem, the files in the package directory
were in 611, I put them in 755 and they began to work. For some optimization
functions I tested it was OK, for other I got new error that I will sort and
try to understand before eventually going back here.

I don't think that there is a version issue between Octave and the binary
function of the Octave packages since I installed everything through the
package manager of my distribution (Linux Mint) and did not added or upgraded
packets through Octave interface.

--
Dominique RICHARD
Laboratoire de Génie des Procédés Catalytiques - CNRS-CPE Lyon