Re: have headers & libs, but cannot configure/make

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: have headers & libs, but cannot configure/make
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2017 08:19:55 -0800

On Fri, Jan 06, 2017 at 11:09:05 -0500, John W. Eaton wrote:
> How about the attached change?

Yes that's what I was thinking.

> I think it will work, but OCTAVE_CHECK_LIB doesn't do exactly the right
> thing for required libraries yet.  It will display
>
>   --with-pcre-includedir=DIR
>                           look for PCRE include files in DIR
>   --with-pcre-libdir=DIR  look for PCRE libraries in DIR
>   --without-pcre          don't use PCRE library
>
> in the output of configure --help, but --without-pcre isn't allowed. For
> required libraries, we could use "--with-LIB=<lib> use LIB library <lib>"
> instead.
>
> If pcre is disabled or missing, you'll get the following messages:
>
>   configure: WARNING: --without-pcre specified.  Functions or features that
> depend on PCRE will be disabled.
>   configure: error: to build Octave, you must have the PCRE library and
> header files installed
>
> For required libraries, we should probably make the warning an error and not
> have to check that outside of the macro.
>
> If you agree, I can fix this.

Ah right, forgot about required vs optional dependencies.

So an extra argument to mark the library as required, which will impact
both the usage AS_HELP_STRINGs and the error/warning if the library is
disabled or not found or fails to pass the test? Seems good to me.

--
mike