Re: vpasolve to find all real roots for multiple nonlinear equations and

From: Oliver Heimlich
Subject: Re: vpasolve to find all real roots for multiple nonlinear equations and multiple variables
Date: Tue, 31 May 2016 07:24:04 +0200

Am 31. Mai 2016 02:46:31 MESZ, schrieb sam kjm <address@hidden>:
>I see... Thanks Oliver! I'd try the fsolve from the interval package
>

>--

The interval fsolve function is an excellent option for the problem described
here. However, its functionality is intimidating if you haven't used interval
arithmetic before.

Let me give more guidance.
1, look at the first fsolve example with parameter estimation in the package
documentation.
2, exchange the function with your state function f and solve that for f = 0.
3, The first output argument of fsolve is probably useless in your case. You
want to plot the second and third output as can be seen in the later examples.
They will give you a guaranteed inner and outer approximation for the solution
set.
4, If the approximation isn't accurate enough (e.g. inner approximation is the
empty set and outer approximation is the whole search range), further knowledge
of interval analysis is required to fine tune the algorithm and state function.
You may ping back if you need help with that.

Oliver