Re: simulation of compression methods

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: simulation of compression methods
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2016 16:28:35 -0400

On Fri, Mar 25, 2016 at 1:46 PM, hiddan <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi, I wanted you to ask for a help with this topic:
Simulation of dictionary compression methods (lz77, lzss, lz78, lzw).
I know how methods work but have no clue how to simulate them in octave. Can
you suggest me how/where to start? Thanks.

well, you could start looking at the actual algorithms. Octave has a number implemented, so you can see the actual algorithms used.
http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/v4.0.1/File-Archiving-Utilities.html

note that a number of those (all of them?) are wrappers to other internal scripts, some of which may be compiled c-code, so you may have to go to the Octave sourcecode to step through the algorithms.

Or, you could look at what other people have done in the past for Octave or Matlab (since Octave is mostly compatible with Matlab m-code. let us know if you find otherwise!). Just googling Matlab Compression Algorithms will get you a number of mathworks fileexchange examples you can peruse.

Or, create semi-random data arrays, and write scripts that attempt to implement the methods you know.

nickj