Re: Mac: Xcode 7.3 problem

From: Vic Norton
Subject: Re: Mac: Xcode 7.3 problem
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2016 20:30:03 -0400

> On Mar 22, 2016, at 6:16 PM, Vic Norton <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> I’ve been using Octave graphics at least once a week on my iMac for quite
> some time (OS X 10.11.4, Octave, version 4.0.0, Gnuplot, version 5.0
> patchlevel 3) with no problems until today. Today I installed Apple’s Xcode,
> version 7.3, along with Apple’s Command Line Tools (OS X 10.11) for Xcode,
> version 3.3, both of which came out Monday, March 21. These upgrades to
> Apple’s system have apparently doomed Octave graphics.
>
> Here is a simple example:
>  octave> clear all
>  octave> x = 0 : 0.1 : 4;
>  octave> plot(x, sin(x));
>  ^C^CPress Control-C again to abort.
>  ^Cpanic: Interrupt: 2 -- stopping myself...
>  attempting to save variables to 'octave-workspace'...
>  save to 'octave-workspace' complete
> The control C’s are necessary to get back to the real world.
>
> Does anyone know of a fix for this problem. I suppose I need to un-upgrade
> Xcode and Command line Tools and get back to the previous versions, but I’m
> not sure how to do this.
>
> Any advice would be much appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> Vic

Another example:
   ~$ octave
   GNU Octave, version 4.0.0
   Copyright (C) 2015 John W. Eaton and others.
   This is free software; see the source code for copying conditions.
   There is ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or
   FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  For details, type 'warranty'.

   Octave was configured for "x86_64-apple-darwin15.2.0".

   Additional information about Octave is available at http://www.octave.org.

   Please contribute if you find this software useful.
   For more information, visit http://www.octave.org/get-involved.html

   Read http://www.octave.org/bugs.html to learn how to submit bug reports.
   For information about changes from previous versions, type 'news'.

   octave> close all;
   octave> hfg = figure();
   octave> hold on
   ^C

“hold on” is the killer. It takes two or more control C’s to get us back to
reality.

- Vic