Re: dynamic allocation of cell arrays is sloooow

From: Francesco Potortì
Subject: Re: dynamic allocation of cell arrays is sloooow
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2016 14:35:34 +0100

>On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 12:17 PM, Francesco Potortì <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Dynamic allocation of array-like data structures is inherently
>> inefficient, but sometimes it vastly simplifies coding, especially when
>> the total size of the data structure is unknown in advance.
>>
>> Octave does a good job at doing dynamic allocation of arrays, but is
>> apparently very inefficient when cell arrays or struct arrays are
>> involved.  Here is a simple benchmark:

>> ans = 4.0.0

>> Elapsed time is 0.000110149 seconds.
>> Elapsed time is 0.000464916 seconds.
>> Elapsed time is 0.00417209 seconds.
>> Elapsed time is 0.040483 seconds.
>> Elapsed time is 0.417366 seconds.
>> Elapsed time is 5.72097 seconds.

>> Elapsed time is 0.000128031 seconds.
>> Elapsed time is 0.000672817 seconds.
>> Elapsed time is 0.00595999 seconds.
>> Elapsed time is 0.063189 seconds.
>> Elapsed time is 1.49592 seconds.
>> Elapsed time is 145.996 seconds.

>> Elapsed time is 0.00019598 seconds.
>> Elapsed time is 0.140211 seconds.
>> Elapsed time is 0.0078249 seconds.
>> Elapsed time is 0.0820489 seconds.
>> Elapsed time is 1.82587 seconds.
>> Elapsed time is 158.164 seconds.
>>
>> I find myself in the latter case: a struct array with around a million
>> entries.  The only reasonable way I found is to do excess initial
>> allocation and then delete the excess entries at the end.  Is this the
>> recommended way?
>
>Assuming you are forced to use cells, that is, shape/type of element
>sis inhomogeneous. I do not think there is a solution. Check the
>functions with names starting with "cell", maybe some of those help
>you.
>Your next chance would be to code some C++, but I am unsure what would
>be the benefit. it would be nice to see a benchmark.
>I am currently thinking to write a sort of acumcell function, but wont
>have time till end of April to actually do serious work there. Maybe
>that is also of your interest.

Thank you Pablo.

I don't know what is the internal representation of cells, but I assumed
it is an array of pointers to objects that can be dynamically expanded
essentially in the same way as an array of double is expanded, for
example by doubling the size each time the previous allocation does not
fit.  Clearly I am wrong here, and maybe there are good reasons why this
cannot be done as efficiently as with vectors.

My specific use case involves a jagged array, where the main dimension
is around some million entries (or possibly more) and the second
dimension varies from 1 to, say, 15 (unknown in advance), with an
average length of about 3.

--
Francesco Potortì (ricercatore)        Voice:  +39.050.621.3058
ISTI - Area della ricerca CNR          Mobile: +39.348.8283.107