Re: Poor plot performance on Windows

From: rcharan51
Subject: Re: Poor plot performance on Windows
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2016 23:49:48 -0700 (PDT)

I am using octave 4 on win 10. Every time octave crashes while printing a
3d surface be it with or without legends. So not everyone is content with
plot performance please help with some work around.
On Mar 16, 2016 12:42, "Jens.Wulf [via Octave]" <
address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Jake,
>
> I did some tests in that area. Results:
>  - versions after 3.2.3 (windows) or 3.2.4 (linux) are increasingly slow
>  - win is slower than linux
>  - with versions after 3.2.x, it makes a difference on how you adjust
your legend. Please see my
>   posts from some days ago ('Slow plotting (redraw due to legend?)') for
details. Adjusting defaults in legend.m
>   might also save you about a third of your plotting time.
>  - try not to use 'hold on', many plots, 'hold off'. Time increases
linearily with the number of plots.
>  - I tested gnuplot, fltk and qt with different versions of octave and
many different uses of plot(), legend(),
>   linetypes and so on.  As far as speed is concerned, they were equally
slow. The only difference I remember
>   was when using drawnow(), which made gnuplot slower than the others.
>
> My posts caused little echo on this list; it seems that most people are
content with plot performance. For my interactive plotting usecase,
everything after 3.2.x is unusable.

> Best regards,
> Jens
>

> ________________________________
>

> SEW-EURODRIVE GmbH & Co KG
> Kommanditgesellschaft, Sitz: Bruchsal, RG Mannheim HRA 230970
> Komplementärin: SEW-EURODRIVE Verwaltungs-GmbH, Sitz: Bruchsal, RG
Mannheim HRB 230207

> Gesellschafter: Jürgen Blickle, Rainer Blickle
> Geschäftsführer: Jürgen Blickle (Vorsitzender), Udo Aull, Johann Soder,
Dr. Jürgen Zanghellini

--

*Disclaimer: *This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential