Re: invalid character for plot (x, y, FMT)

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: invalid character for plot (x, y, FMT)
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2015 12:24:26 -0500

On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 10:56 AM, James Sherman Jr. <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 10:48 AM, Mike Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Please always reply to the mailing list and preserve order (fixed).

>>> I typed help <name of command>
>>
>> This may be a minor bug in Texinfo on Windows, can someone confirm
>> whether "help plot" in Windows shows the wrong quote characters in the
>> list of marker styles? Can the text be copied and pasted directly into
>> the plot function as the format argument?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> --
>> mike

> On Octave-4.0.0 on windows, the actual plot examples in the help file
> are correct ( they use double quotes ) such as:
>
>> plot (x, y, "or", x, y2, x, y3, "m", x, y4, "+")
>
> However, when listing different options (this may have been where Jon
> was confused), such as the different color options, the single
> characters are listed as <backtick character single_quote>, such as:
>
>> color
>           `k'  blacK
>           `r'  Red
>           `g'  Green
>           `b'  Blue
>           `m'  Magenta
>           `c'  Cyan
>           `w'  White
>
> Was this what as confusing, Jon?
>
> James Sherman

hmm... I can see where that would be misleading. in the tex it is
listed as @samp(x) which renders as `x'.  pretty consistent throughout
the help looking elsewhere.  also comes up for @code(stuff).

so where in the source does that live?

second:  this is one of those places where Matlab's 'did you mean...?'
functionality is pretty nice. has there been any attempt to implement
something similar in octave's interpreter to ease (or increase
laziness with) syntax errors?

nickj