Re: Octave VRML import

From: Etienne Grossmann
Subject: Re: Octave VRML import
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2015 17:38:48 -0600

  Hello,

On 2015-10-29 07:03, Carnë Draug wrote:

On 29 October 2015 at 05:09, Etienne Grossmann <address@hidden> wrote:
On 2015-10-28 10:14, Carnë Draug wrote:
On 27 October 2015 at 17:44, Etienne Grossmann <address@hidden> wrote:
[...] PS: If you use the vrml package, you may prefer the one attached, which works better w/ new Octaves. On Debian/Ubuntu, you may want to apt-get install view3dscene and vrml_set_browser("view3dscene"). I'd submit these changes to octave-forge, but after RTFM a little, I haven't figured out how to submit patches :-(
I am forwarding you again the email I sent you back then. Let me know if there's anything not clear. Carnë ---------- Forwarded message ---------- From: Carnë Draug <address@hidden> Date: 20 March 2015 at 12:29 Subject: Re: Re: [patch #8615] Bumped-up version of octave-forge package "vrml" To: Etienne Grossmann <address@hidden> On 17 March 2015 at 05:07, Etienne Grossmann <address@hidden> wrote: Hi Carnë, I'd like to update the vrml package on sourceforge. I did as explained on octave.sourceforge.net/developers.html and posted a new package at https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?func=additem&group=octave. Hi you are confusing two things. There are patches which contributions to the repository, and there's packages releases. The later does not happen every time there's a change to the repository. What you need to do is: 1) supply patches for the repository. You can do this by: 1.1) have a clone of the packages hosted somewhere (sourceforge, bitbucket, and pikacode provide mercurial hosting) and then ask on the patch tracker to have csets X, Y, and Z merged. 1.2) do not have a clone somewhere else and instead attach patch files to the patch tracker. Note that patches are mercurial changesets. See the Octave manual for details [1] 2) once your csets are merged, you can then prepare a package release, build the html documentation, and upload it for review before release. Mike Miller was kind enough to point me to https://sourceforge.net/p/octave/package-releases/new, but when I go there, my SF user account "etienne" does not have appropriate credentials. Could you help me make this happen? You will have to contact SourceForge about recovering your SF account. I have no power for doing that. Carnë [1] https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Basics-of-Generating-a-Changeset.html
Hi Carnë, thanks again for the nudge. Two questions: Does the small attached patch fit the job? It's made as in https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Basics-of-Generating-a-Changeset.html
Yes, the patch is good.  You should however follow the commit message
guidelines

    http://wiki.octave.org/Commit_message_guidelines

and the attach it to the patch tracker where the patch itself can be
reviewed (you should add a test for the change, and use print_usage()
instead of 'help foo; error ("Wrong arguments")').

"print_usage()" doesn't print the whole help text, so I kept "help".
How does the hg repo http://sourceforge.net/p/octave/vrml/ci/default/tree/ become a package?
See the "Making a package release section" at

    http://octave.sourceforge.net/developers.html

I stumble at "Post the package, html docs and md5". I don't see any "post" or "upload" link on http://sourceforge.net/p/octave/package-releases. Any advice here? Those are the actual setps to make a release but most packages nowadays use a Makefile and just run "make release". See: http://hg.code.sf.net/p/octave/statistics/file/default/Makefile http://hg.code.sf.net/p/octave/signal/file/default/Makefile http://hg.code.sf.net/p/octave/image/file/1102459d894d/Makefile
I notice that sourceforge (and pkg install) still carries the outdated vrml-1.0.13.
It's not outdated.  It is the last release made.

By "outdated", I meant that the last release made (1.0.13) causes a lot of warnings w/ recent Octaves, whereas the tip of the hg repo does not.

Cheers,

Etienne

Carnë