Re: Octave: Question on running parallel package on linux HPC cluster

From: Carlo De Falco
Subject: Re: Octave: Question on running parallel package on linux HPC cluster
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2015 13:53:13 +0000

On 25 Sep 2015, at 21:58, Tung Nguyen <address@hidden> wrote:

> Thanks a lot for your input Carlo and Olaf! qsub will give me the computed
> nodes with their associated CPUs name. But it's seemed that they all have the
> same names as in my first post. I will have to dig further into this to find
> out how I can access individual CPUs and use them together with "parallel"
> package

Tung,

It really depends on what functions you intend to use from the parallel package.
If you want to use "pararrayfun" and/or "parcellfun", for example, those only
work
if all processes run on the same multiprocessor machine, so all you need to do
is
make sure that the processes you start via qsub are all run on the same machine.

This is usually done in torque by specifying that you request multiple processes
but only one node, for example to run 16 processes on one node you would write
something similar in youre launch script:

#!/bin/bash
#PBS -S /bin/bash
#PBS -l nodes=1:ppn=1
cd ${PBS_O_WORKDIR}