Re: install package

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: install package
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 14:22:10 -0700 (PDT)

Detlef Maier wrote
> Hello. I did:
>
> pkg install C:\Users\maidet\Downloads\io-2.2.9.tar.gz
>
>  pkg list
> Package Name  | Version | Installation directory
> --------------+---------+-----------------------
>           io  |   2.2.9 |
> C:\Octave\Octave-4.0.0\share\octave\packages\io-2.2.9
>
> shut down and restarted the PC
>
> help xmlread
> error: help: the 'xmlread' function is not yet implemented in Octave

(io package maintainer here)

A little off-topic:
Although the xmlread() function is in the io package, I've never had any
success with it. It is not documented at all, its author has vanished from
the face of the earth, and it landed in the io package during a reshuffle of
all kind of functions from the (IIRC) miscellaneous package.

The only reasons I keep it around in the io package are:

- it still builds fine

- I can't remember to ever have seen a bug report for it.

Nevertheless I've been hesitating for a long time now to drop the binary XML
lot from io (xmlread, xmlwrite, xmltree).
If you have any success with it, please let me know - that'll give me a
reason to hesitate a little longer :-)

AFAIK XML stuff needs a ".dtd" file (Document Type Definition).  I see now
that the 'octave.dtd' (that isn't documented either) in the io package repo
didn't make its way into the io package release.  Not that I'd know where to
put it anyway, with the .oct files or with the .m files? :-)
You can download it here:
http://hg.code.sf.net/p/octave/io/file/462c77b01822/src/octave.dtd
(select  "raw" in left column in browser)

Philip