Re: Octave : Unloading oct file

From: c.
Subject: Re: Octave : Unloading oct file
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 10:08:35 +0200

On 19 Apr 2015, at 09:11, Shravan Garlapati <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Carlo,
>
> I am contacting you regarding this Octave post
>
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-octave/2013-12/msg00083.html
>
> When I tried : autoload("vadd.oct","remove")    I am still getting this
>
> warning: autoload: 'remove' is not an absolute file name
>
> My Octave version is  3.8.2. According to the above post, this should work
> from version 3.8.
>
> Does this method of unloading oct file work for you?
>
> Thanks
> Shravan

Hi,

Please keep the help mailing list in CC when asking questions about Octave,
so others may benefit from the answer.

In Octave 3.8.2 the command "help autoload" returns the following:

'autoload' is a built-in function from the file
libinterp/parse-tree/oct-parse.cc

 -- Built-in Function: AUTOLOAD_MAP = autoload ()
 -- Built-in Function: autoload (FUNCTION, FILE)
 -- Built-in Function: autoload (..., "remove")
     Define FUNCTION to autoload from FILE.

     The second argument, FILE, should be an absolute file name or a
     file name in the same directory as the function or script from
     which the autoload command was run.  FILE _should not_ depend on
     the Octave load path.

     If a third argument "remove" is given, the function is cleared and
     not loaded anymore during the current Octave session.

so you are getting that error message because

1) you are missing the first argument in the call
2) second input argument is supposed to be the absolute path of a file

so, to make your call work you should use the syntax described in the
documentation:

autoload ("function_name", canonicalize_file_name ("vadd.oct"), "remove")

where "function_name" should by replaced by the name of the function you want
to remove
from the interpreter.

I think the help for the function autoload was clear enough about this,
but if you think it wasn't and you think it may be improved, please propose
any changes you think could make it more easy to follow.

HTH,
c.