Re: Boost libraries

From: JuanPi
Subject: Re: Boost libraries
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2015 18:26:49 +0200

On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 4:41 PM, Mike Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 19:45:17 -0400, Jordi GutiƩrrez Hermoso wrote:
>> On Tue, 2015-03-31 at 18:56 +0200, JuanPi wrote:
>>> What is the general opinion about using boost libraires?
>>>
>>> http://agora.octave.org/snippet/Vdmr/
>>
>> Generally a good idea. Boost is C++'s second standard library. Indeed,
>> a lot of namespace std today started its life in namespace boost.
>
> I agree with Jordi, with a caveat to watch out for new and unstable
> APIs if you plan on distributing your work to others. The
> bernoulli_b2n function you call in your example was introduced very
> recently in Boost 1.56.0 (August 2014) so it is unlikely to be widely
> available in many distributions yet.
>
> --
> mike

Thanks all for the comments.

Some years ago I got the impression boost was not so welcomed, now it
seems different. Being this the case I guess I can reconsider a Octave
link to BGL.

Indeed the bernoulli function is not available in my distro, so I am
using a custom install of Boost. It was just an example... there are
several TODOs of Octave that could be easily completed via boost...

What about the license issue brought up by Olaf?

--
JuanPi Carbajal
Public GnuPG key: 81FE32B3