Re: Java Error xlsread

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: Java Error xlsread
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 18:07:40 +0900 (JST)

----- Original Message -----
>From: adrianc852
>To: help-octave
>Date: 2015/3/30, Mon 16:01
>Subject: Java Error xlsread
>
>Hello,
>
>I am using the GUI 3.8.2 version of Octave on the 64 bit Windows 8.1 using
>32 bit excel 2010.  I am having trouble installing and loading the java
>package.  I use the command to download it.  I also use the setenv command
>before installing:
>setenv ("JAVA_HOME", "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_40\jre\lib\amd64");
>
>This is the error I get:
>Error while trying to install Java package:
>JAVA_HOME environment variable does not properly point to a JDK
>  Hint:
>  JAVA_HOME should usually be set such that either:
>  (on *nix:)
>    <JAVA_HOME>/jre/lib/<arch>/client/ contains libjvm.so (file or symlink)
>  (on OSX:)
>    <JAVA_HOME>/../Libraries/ contains a file libclient.dylib
>  (on Windows:)
>    <JAVA_HOME>/jre/lib/<arch>/ contains a file jvm.cfg
>  (<arch> depends on your system hardware, can be i386, x86_64, alpha, arm,
>...)
>
>Ultimately, I would like to use the xlsread command but even when I had this
>working before it would not allow me to specify a worksheet for importing
>data. Can anyone help?

You must not install Java package for octave 3.8 or later.
The java facilities are implemented in octave itself from Octave-3.8
if it is configured.

If you use Octave-3.8.2 from http://mxeoctave.osuv.de/, try the latest one.

If you have 32 bit excel 2010, you can use COM interface.

For the Excel/COM interface:
 A windows computer with Excel installed
 Octave-forge Windows-1.2.1

The above only required for xls file. For xlsx file, there is not required java
nor COM interface.

I recommend that you to install the latest version of io package by

>> pkg install -forge io

The you can install the latest io package.

Hope the above helps.

Tatsuro