Re: Octave often crashes unexpectedly

From: Olaf Till
Subject: Re: Octave often crashes unexpectedly
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 15:23:41 +0100

On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 11:02:35AM +0100, Maximilian Bryan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am running octave 3.8.2 on Debian Wheezy x64. I have a long
> running script, which contains a for loop in which I am doing some
> calculations, calculate an error and then start over. Often my
> script runs for one or two hours and then crashes (it saves the
> current progress to a file called octave-workspace).
> It is hard to reproduce that error, since my script mostly is in
> that loop and at some point crashes in that loop. What can I do to
> find out what the problem is?

First thing of course is loading octave-workspace and inspecting the
variables. Among them should be the current value of the counter
variable of your loop. Use this and the other loaded variables to
repeat the commands in the loop for this counter value. This could
trigger the crash if a single command unconditionally causes it.

If not, you can run Octave in a debugger or similar thing and obtain a
backtrace at crash time, which might give a clue to someone.

If the code in the loop is only a few lines long, you could post it
and maybe someone finds that something looks suspicious.

Olaf