Installing Parallel package with Mac OS X and Fink

From: mpender
Subject: Installing Parallel package with Mac OS X and Fink
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2014 21:38:17 -0800 (PST)

I'm trying to install the parallel package with Octave under Mac OS X
(Mavericks 10.9.4).  I tried the binary package installer first, but decided
to uninstall Octave 3.8.0 and install Fink and then install Octave 3.8.2
instead.

Earlier today I realized that I also needed to install the octave382-dev
package to get mkoctfile working, so I've got that part ready now.  But now
I have a new problem:

octave:2> pkg install -forge parallel
error: urlwrite: unable to open file
error: called from:
error:   /sw/share/octave/3.8.2/m/pkg/pkg.m at line 386, column 23
octave:2>

I'm not sure what to interpret from this urlwrite problem.  Does this error
message make sense to anyone?