Re: Parallel package and multicore issues

From: Olaf Till
Subject: Re: Parallel package and multicore issues
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2014 22:42:11 +0200

On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 01:45:20PM +0200, Antoine Moreau wrote:

> Update : I've tried to use taskset. Doesn't really do the job, though.
>
> I've launched octave with a permissive taskset (a mask with a lot of
> FFFF, or -c 0-24) and
> the child processes have still been attached to the same cpu. So
> that, by hand, I have
> used taskset to change the affinity of each child process. The
> processes are now using
> all the CPU they can (painful for 10 processes, but maybe a script
> could do it quite nicely that
> could be called from octave directly).
>
> Only issue now : no output. The computation should be over now. I
> have to check further
> why this did'nt work.

Hello Antoine,

sorry to say I've no real suggestion, only a few remarks ...

I don't think we should try to manage the CPU affinity of Octaves
local processes from within Octave, so I'd say this is an issue of the
operating system, not of Octave.

But normally there is no need to use taskset, the processes should be
neatly distributed to the CPUs by the scheduler by default ... Are you
running a special system, e.g. a real time system or an otherwise
specially compiled kernel?

And I'm curious -- how do you check on which CPU a process runs?

I don't understand your problem with 'no output'.

Olaf