Re: Aw: Re: Streaming Serial Octave

From: Juan Pablo Carbajal
Subject: Re: Aw: Re: Streaming Serial Octave
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 22:00:30 +0200

On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 5:20 PM, inertialwave <address@hidden> wrote:
> Thank you for the several leads to a solution to my problem. I was able to
> browse your Instrument-Control source link and note Stefan Mahr's
> contribution and have been finding your several ML contributions on the
> subject. There is a lot to learn for me to return with a complete Win
> package but I have a colleague at a university who is capable with C/C++
> code and has great success with Matlab Instrument-Control Toolbox. I will
> see if I can "learn fast" with his tactical assistance. Some
> clarifications/questions before I go off to "Code U":
>
> 1) I have used Matlab's Data Acquisition Toolbox (DAT) with great success
> for high speed digital demodulation of audio signals from National
> Instruments USB DAQs but now realize this is distinct from
> Instrument-Control Toolbox. I need to reflect on their differences to
> understand whether high-speed streaming is also appropriate to do with I-C.
> (I see its currently only advertising 230kbaud vs the 460kbaud streaming
> data I have been picking up with fread in core Octave.)
>
> 2) Contributing to a better Instrument-Control package would be noble work
> so I am motivated to investigate stretching to help.
> http://edn.com/electronics-blogs/the-practicing-instrumentation-engineer/4428091/GNU-Octave-hits-a-high-note
> <http://edn.com/electronics-blogs/the-practicing-instrumentation-engineer/4428091/GNU-Octave-hits-a-high-note>
>
> 3) My original narrow questions was simply how to open a Bluetooth serial
> device with Octave's core fread function. This should be possible according
> to Matlab I-C if my device supports the SPP protocol, which it does. (My use
> of "virtual serial port" is not accurate and may have been confusing.). I
> only have a device driver for Win) For this device type it does not simply
> open with fopen('\\.\COMxx'). I was hoping for a simple substitute port name
> for Win OS- PySerial has figured it out but I don't yet see how.
>
> 4) Has anyone  successfully opened a Bluetooth serial device under linux or
> other non-Win OS inside core Octave or Octave/Instrument-Control ? Does
> fopen('/dev/ttyUSBxx') work for  such a BT/SPP driver ?
>

> --

I do not have much to comment except that that blog post is not one I
would spread too much... I might even tend to think it is a negative
blog post that highlights all the wrong aspects of Octave.... and btw,
I work with students from almost all ages and at least three countries
and they do learn the language faster when you let them into the
command line...

Anyways, I have used a Bluetooth to serial device
http://www.dwengo.org/products/bluetooth
in Linux is just another device...but indeed is B-to-S so is not
really a bluetooth device.