Re: Loading HDF5 / h5 files

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Loading HDF5 / h5 files
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2014 10:46:57 -0400

On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 13:36:15 +0200, Matthias Brennwald wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I am trying to load binary data files into Octave (version 3.6.4 on Mac OS
> X). The data file specification says the file format is HDF5 / h5. An example
> for such a file is available here:
> http://www.picarro.com/sites/default/files/CFADS2135-20101206-081426-PressureCal-1.h5
>
> I tried to load the data from this file using the “load” command, but that
> did not work (see log below). Is this an issue with the file, or with Octave?
> Anything I could try to make this work better?

Octave's load function reads *particular* HDF5 files, namely files
created by Octave using "save -hdf5" or by Matlab using the "v7.3"
file format I believe (someone please correct if I got that wrong).

The load and save functions are for moving workspace variables between
instances of Octave and Matlab, not for reading generic data files of
arbitrary formats. They are expected to operate only on files created
by Octave itself or by Matlab.

Octave does not currently have functions for reading arbitrary HDF5
files. It could, if someone wants to implement the functions h5read,
h5write, et al.

You could try the third-party h5utils or hdf5oct projects, and let us
know if either of them work for you.

--
mike