Re: Standard IDE

From: dkeck
Subject: Re: Standard IDE
Date: Sat, 31 May 2014 08:30:44 -0700 (PDT)

Indeed Eclipse primary purpose is not shell/terminal/console oriented. The
workflow is enforced in such a way to keep everything clean and well
defined. I think the (Java) gurus at IBM made this decision because they
want things to be done programmatically (hard coded or by config files) or
through a neat dialog which informs every dependent component in a
convenient way.

Such an approach will help you if you have huge development structures but I
agree it will often bloat up things if you just want to test tiny
structures/ideas with some hackish command on the prompt.

Nonetheless we can incorporate a shell into Eclipse and call Octave from
there and will be back in the good world. (I attached a screenshot for that:
OctaveEclipseProofOfConcept.PNG
<http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/file/n4664407/OctaveEclipseProofOfConcept.PNG>

)

I think we are talking about the same thing. It's just a question in which
way input is provided and if we didn't use Java where we are forced to
compile still interpreted code but load some BASIC interpreter we would have
some valid pendant from the programming world such that Octave and Basic…

octave.exe -q
disp('Hello I am sure I am a user!')
&&
Old1988_Basic.exe
PRINT "Hello I am sure I am a developer!"

…will belong to each other.

But I see you point "Power developers will always use whatever editor or IDE
they prefer and are most comfortable working with" and you are right with
that. An Emacs user may convince me of it's power (he don't need I already
think it's an awesome tool) but still I go with Eclipse and "[you] use
Octave's GUI, but […] develop in Vim”. Thus it remains a question of taste.
But still I hope we'll come up with an open standard that suites everyone
needs (or allows extensions/plugins) while combining many different
languages (or 'formalisms' if one might not see Octave/Matlab as a fully
qualified language).

Please let me add a few guys to the User – Developer chorus: Designer,
Architect, Engineer, Programmer, Scientist, Toolmaker, Book writer,… they
all have something in common they use formal languages to achieve some goal.
A user using a computer and typing input into a programm for his/her work
can never not be a developer in my eyes since they all create something.

Thank you very much for your elaborated answers. I appreciate that.