Re: Octave 3.8.1 on Cygwin - Packages

From: Marco Atzeri
Subject: Re: Octave 3.8.1 on Cygwin - Packages
Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 12:02:53 +0200

On 21/05/2014 17:36, Regan Lu wrote:
Hello there,

How do you know if all the necessary packages are installed for Octave
3.8.1 to fully use functions defined in script. I had initially trouble
plotting graphs and running octave in the GUI as I missing packages
(X11, gnuplot, etc). Fortunately, I was able to get both functions to
work. This make me wonder if there is more packages that missed that
would make my code not functional without it.

On the wiki instruction page, it does not indicate what other packages I
would have to install. I did not go into the computer and electrical
field so the package conventions are somewhat foreign to me. This only
came to my attention after researching for a solution to another bug I
had with running Octave 3.6.4 and decided to work with the updated
version in the hopes that said bug is fixed.

Hi Regan,
on cygwin, the package dependencies are usually the minimal one to
have the package functional; as octave can work without plotting
pulling the X server is exceeding the minimal requirement.

However on the wiki
http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_Microsoft_Windows#Octave_on_Cygwin

is reported that if you need graphics you need to install X11

" Graphics is based on X and to plot you need to start octave within xterm (or similar).
    I recommend to install "xinit" and "xlaunch".
    These 2 package will pull all the functional Xserver.
    Otherwise the only graphics will be ASCI art ;-) "

I will add the note for gnuplot.

For all the forge packages the dependencies should be completed.
If you find any missing one, please highlight here or on
the cygwin mailing list and I will correct any missing ones.

Anyways, Thank you in advance!

Regards
Marco