Re: Loading Octave video package error

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Loading Octave video package error
Date: Thu, 8 May 2014 09:01:45 -0400

On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 16:46:52 -0700, ijourneaux wrote:
> Tried installing MXE-Octave under win7 and get the same error. Looks like
> there may be some pieces missing.

See this earlier discussion:
http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/package-video-is-empty-tp4656346p4656526.html

Notable points:

 * The video package is unmaintained/under-maintained, it may not do
   what you want even if you can install it.
 * It would be recommended to install a prebuilt binary of the video
   package, but I don't think this is yet done for the mxe Octave
   installer.
 * Worth repeating: even if a binary installer is provided, the video
   package may not do what you expect.

> Package libavformat was not found in the pkg-config search path.
> Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libavformat.pc'
> No package 'libavformat' found
> Package libavcodec was not found in the pkg-config search path.
> Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libavcodec.pc'
> No package 'libavcodec' found
> Package libavutil was not found in the pkg-config search path.
> Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libavutil.pc'
> No package 'libavutil' found
> Package libswscale was not found in the pkg-config search path.
> Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libswscale.pc'
> No package 'libswscale' found

These are not missing pieces, these are external libraries needed to
compile the video package. It is up to the user to arrange for these
libraries to be installed and discoverable using pkg-config before
attempting to install/compile the video package.

If you want the video package available for Windows, I would recommend
filing a wishlist bug in the Octave bug tracker to include the video
package in the mxe installer.

https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=additem&group=octave

--
mike