Re: octave install

From: Fausto Arinos de A. Barbuto
Subject: Re: octave install
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2014 09:28:19 -0700 (PDT)

On Tuesday, April 8, 2014 12:33:51 AM, Tatsuro MATSUOKA <address@hidden> wrote:

>--- On Tue, 2014/4/8, Fausto Arinos Barbuto wrote:
>
>> On 04/04/2014 07:00 PM, Tatsuro MATSUOKA wrote:
>> > --- On Sat, 2014/4/5, johnrobinson  wrote:
>> >

>> > What is the distribution of your Linux? For example, Debian or Ubuntu or
>> > Redhat or .....
>> > I have built Octave 3.8.1 on Ubuntu according the instruction on the web
>> > site:
>> >
>> > http://blogs.bu.edu/mhirsch/2013/12/compiling-octave-3-8/
>> >

>> The problem about the instructions in the blog above is that they uninstall
>> gmsh and several other pieces of software I (for one) need.  If that is the
>> cost of installing Octave 3.8 on my Ubuntu 12.04 system, well, I would sooner
>> stick by 3.2.4.
>>
>> Fausto
>>

>> PS: I tried the instructions above nevertheless and got several build errors
>> *plus* the removal of gmsh.
>>

>What kind of error messages did you encounter?  Revealing them might help to
>solve your problem.
>
>Regards
>
>Tatsuro

Hi, Tatsuro.  Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, I didn't keep a build log neither did I save the error
messages that were displayed onto the xterm.  But I will definitely
save a log and will post it here should I ever decide to try installing
3.8 on my computer again.

For the time being, a question stands: why should gmsh be removed from
the system upon the installation of Octave 3.8's dependencies?  I fail
to understand why.

Regards,

Fausto