Re: octave install

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: octave install
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2014 21:02:28 -0400

On Fri, 2014-04-04 at 10:42 -0700, johnrobinson wrote:
> my question is what is the problem in providing the third party dependency's
> in the source package is it something as silly as licensing?

How much dependencies do you want? Should the source package provide
the Linux kernel source or the gcc source?

When several alternatives are possible (for example, several BLAS
libraries), should the source package provide all of them?

And should every user be given all of the dependencies, including the
optional ones, in the same source package? Should we increase the
bandwidth use for everyone?

> I cant imagine in this day and age storage space to be the reason.

Storage space is still finite and will always be. Bandwidth doubly so.
If it's possible to be parsimonious, there's no reason not to be.

> I know a lot of people who keep their mission critical computers
> away from the internet

I find it strange that you would trust your GNU/Linux distributor but
only if the distribution does not happen over the internet. It is
quite easy to setup a mission critical whatever to only allow access
to your distributor's site. All reputable distributors also
cryptographically sign their packages with GPG keys.

> as well as people in remote (me) or third world locations,

As a person in a third world location, I was able to get Octave and
its dependencies. I know many others who can, as we get contributors
and users from India and Iran. I was even able to burn Debian DVDs and
take them home and work from them.

I am not convinced that you have a problem that Octave's distribution
can solve.

- Jordi G. H.