Re: [RFC] Octave and internationalization

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: [RFC] Octave and internationalization
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2014 10:16:04 -0400

On Wed, 2014-04-02 at 16:29 -0700, Alan W. Irwin wrote:
> On 2014-04-02 17:24-0400 Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2014-04-02 at 09:32 -0700, Alan W. Irwin wrote:
> >
> >> I am not an Octave developer so I don't want to get involved with
> >> that wiki,
> >
> > That wiki is editable by everyone. If we wanted to make it only for
> > Octave developers, we'd password-protect it or something. Just edit
> > the wiki.
>
> Understood, but this is a special case. How Octave developers approach
> internationalization is their decision.

It is everyone's decision. There isn't a secret cabal that makes
decisions. Whoever writes the code is the one who makes the decision.
That's how everything works around here.

> As an outsider to Octave development

You are only an outsider if you choose to make yourself one. If you
think you know how i18n should be done and we have no idea how to do
it (and we probably don't), tell us about it. And edit the wiki. It's
not a super-secret developers-only wiki. Instead of putting your
thoughts in this mailing list, put them in the wiki. They're much more
useful for posterity there.

- Jordi G. H.