Re: Octave 3.8.1 Released

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: Octave 3.8.1 Released
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 12:08:36 +0900 (JST)

--- On Sat, 2014/3/8, John W. Eaton wrote:

> [...]
> have decided to wait until the 4.0.x release series before making the
> GUI the default interface (until then, you can use the --force-gui
> option to start the GUI).
>
> Given the length of time and the number of bug fixes and improvements
> since the last major release Octave, we also decided against delaying
> the release any longer. So please enjoy the 3.8.1 release of Octave and
> the preview of the new GUI. We believe it is working reasonably well,
> but we also know that there are some obvious rough spots and many
> things that could be improved.
>
> Please see http://octave.org/NEWS-3.8.html for a more complete list of
> significant user-visible changes in this release.
>
> WE ALSO NEED YOUR HELP to fix the remaining problems, complete the
> GUI, and improve the overall user experience for both novices and
> experts alike:
>
>    * If you are a skilled software developer, you can help by
>      contributing your time to help with Octave's development.
>      See http://octave.org/get-involved.html for more info.
>
>    * If Octave does not work properly, you are encouraged to report the
>      problems you find.  Bug reporting guidelines are available at
>      http://octave.org/bugs.html
>
>    * Whether you are a user or developer, you can help to fund the
>      project.  Octave development takes a lot of time and expertise.
>      Your contributions help Octave continue to improve.  The Free
>      Software Foundation's Working Together for Free Software campaign
>      fund now accepts donations for Octave at
>      https://my.fsf.org/donate/working-together/octave
>
> We hope you find Octave to be useful. Please help us make it even
> better for the future!
>

> The source code for Octave 3.8.1 is available for download at:
>
>    http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/octave
>    ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/octave
>
> Please see http://www.gnu.org/order/ftp.html for mirror sites around
> the world.  Or you may use http://ftpmirror.gnu.org/octave, which will
> redirect automatically to a nearby mirror.
>
> Links to binary (executable) versions for various systems will be
> listed at http://octave.org/download.html as they become
> available.
>
> As always, many people contributed to this Octave release.  A complete
> list of contributors may be found in the Octave manual.
>

> About Octave:
>
> GNU Octave is a high-level interpreted language, primarily intended
> for numerical computations.  It provides capabilities for the
> numerical solution of linear and nonlinear problems and for
> performing other numerical experiments.  It also provides extensive
> graphics capabilities for data visualization and manipulation.  Octave
> is normally used through its interactive command line interface, but
> it can also be used to write non-interactive programs.  The Octave
> language is quite similar to Matlab so that most programs are easily
> portable.  A full description of Octave capabilities is available at

I have built octave-3.8.1 on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (32 bit).
'make check' result was :

  system.tst ............................................. PASS   95/96   FAIL 1

  PASS     11538
  FAIL         1
  XFAIL        7

fntest.log for system.tst :
  ***** testif HAVE_GETPWUID
 x = getpwuid (getuid ());
 assert (x.dir, tilde_expand ("~"));
 assert (x.dir, tilde_expand (sprintf ("~%s", x.name)));
 assert ("foobar", tilde_expand ("foobar"));
!!!!! test failed
ASSERT errors for:  assert (x.dir,tilde_expand ("~"))

  Location  |  Observed  |  Expected  |  Reason
     []         /root     /home/tatsuromatsuoka       Strings don't match

Regards

Tatsuro