Re: Octave as a client in a server-client configuration

From: mpender
Subject: Re: Octave as a client in a server-client configuration
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 14:30:11 -0800 (PST)

cblou wrote
> I also have an example server written in C++ that outputs the information
> to a console.  Here is the relevant code of the client:
>
>       // Start Client
>     boost::asio::io_service io_service;
>
> I want to implement the client in Octave but I have little experience with
> networks. I have been looking at MPI and octave-daemon for quite a while
> but I cannot find an example similar to what I need.
>
> Thank you very much,
>
> Charles

Since you already have sample client code written in C++, you may find it
most straightforward to interface the C++ code to Octave using an "oct"
file.
https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Getting-Started-with-Oct_002dFiles.html

I suggest the approach of writing a callable oct file that acts as a wrapper
for your C++ client code.  That way the changes required to the existing
client code should be minimal.  I found the following paper by Daniel Kraft
helpful since it discusses the process and appropriate compiler options for
compiling the external code for use with Octave.
http://www.domob.eu/research/OctaveGPU.pdf

I've seen Daniel post to the group recently as well.

- Mike